LATEST ARTICLES

Mortgage costs higher on reservations

By Lee Egerstrom Native American families have more difficulty accessing home mortgages for property on Indian reservation and pay higher interest rates for their loans...

Niijii Radio rises ‘out of the ashes’ to serve White Earth,...

By Natasha Rausch/Inforum A brick building off State Highway 59 that used to serve as the Callaway School is now home to the White Earth...

Taking off the Gloves- Enbridge and their Aboriginal People’s Policy

By Winona LaDuke “We commit to working with Indigenous communities in a manner that recognizes and respects those legal and constitutional rights and the traditional...

My courtship with cannabis/hemp: treat her well

By Winona LaDuke You can learn a lot from a plant. For the past four years I’ve been hanging out with cannabis plants. She’s an...

Not Your Mascot protests Washington DC team’s racist name

Native Americans and allies gathered outside the U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Oct. 24 to protest the Washington Redskins’ racist name. The rally was organized...

‘I’ve never told anyone’: Stories of life in Indian boarding schools

By Dan Gunderson/MPR News Denise Lajimodiere’s interest in the Indian boarding school experience began with the stories of her parents. “Mama was made to kneel on...

News Briefs – November 2019

2020 coin features Native Elizabeth Peratrovich ANCHORAGE, AK (AP) – A young Alaska Native woman left an impression on Alaska’s territorial Senate in 1945, delivering...

Political Matters – November 2019

By Mordecai Specktor Among the Trumpites As I wrote last month, the Imperial Kleagle in the Oval Office paid a visit to Minneapolis on Oct. 10....

Geyaabi wiikwajichigen with All American Katie Taylor

By Dan Ninham “Geyaabi wiikwajichigen … Keep Striving/ Endeavoring.” These are the empowering Ojibwemowin Laura Taylor says best represents her daughter Katie Taylor, who is...

It Ain’t Easy Being Indian – November 2019

By Ricey Wild I write about what I want to. Many people over the years have given suggestions and not so subtle hints about their...

Community Calendar – November 2019

Thru Nov 30 Akinomaage: Teaching from the Earth exhibit Vern Northrup, visual storyteller and photographer, is an enrolled member of the Fond du Lac Nation in Northern...

Native Lights: Where Indigenous Voices Shine

By Lee Egerstrom An unusual association of independent, community-based radio stations brought forth Native voices and faces for visitors to the Minnesota State Fair this...

Enbridge encounters more setbacks

By Winona LaDuke On September 28, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency denied an essential permit to the Enbridge Line 3 Project, adding more setbacks for...

It’s time to plant for the future with hemp

By Winona LaDuke While armchair and facebook critics are blasting away at those of us transforming the world, blasting Alexandria Ocasio Ortiz, Ilhan Omar, and...

Red Lake Nation breaks ground on first-of-its-kind housing

By Max Nesterak/MPR News With prayer, song and gold shovels emblazoned with Ojibwe floral patterns, the Red Lake Nation broke ground September 14th on a 110-unit affordable...

MHS begins public hearings for new name of Historic Fort Snelling

By Mohamed Ibrahim/MPR News One of the most important historic sites in Minnesota may get a new name. The Minnesota Historical Society will hold statewide public...

Indigenous designer fights MMIW crisis with fashion

By Natasha Rausch/The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead Models with red and black handprints painted on their faces strutted across the stage wearing Darlene Perkins originals. The...

The hardest kind of mothering: miscarriage and infant death

Review by Deborah Locke “What God Is Honored Here?” features stories from women of color who experienced miscarriage and the death of their infants. To...

The Girls On My Team Are My Sisters

By Dan Ninham Interethnic and interracial friendships offer opportunities for athletes to learn how others see their world. This helps people get along and accomplish...

Community Calendar – October 2019

Thru Oct 26 Transference: Printmakers in Mni Sota Makoce Exhibition Prints in this exhibition by Julie Buffalohead, Andrea Carlson, and Dyani White Hawk were exclusively made...