At Native food tasting, indigenous community reclaim who they are

By Jiwon Choi/MPR Mysti Babineau, a Red Lake Ojibwe tribal member, along with her two young children and 12-year-old niece, waited in line for an...

“Unstoppable” entertains readers and sparks new interests

By Deborah Locke Unstoppable: How Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team Defeated Army (Encounter: Narrative Nonfiction Picture Books) by Art Coulson (Author) Nick Hardcastle (Illustrator) August...

Political Matters – November 2018

By Mordecai Specktor Update: Suppressing the Indian vote In the February 2016 “Political Matters” column, I wrote about a lawsuit challenging North Dakota’s voter ID laws....

TC PBS Honors Native Cultures

Twin Cities PBS (TPT) launched a new initiative, Twin Cities PBS Honors Native Cultures, celebrating and honoring indigenous cultures by airing original productions that share...

It Ain’t Easy Being Indian – November 2018

By Ricey Wild So this is the 20-year anniversary of my column being published (give or take a few months when I was deeply depressed,...

2018 Native Authors Breakfast Fundraiser

2018 Native Authors Breakfast Fundraiser December 7th 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. (doors open at 7:30 a.m. for coffee) The Circle Board invites you to join us...

Wall of Forgotten Natives to Move

By Lee Egerstrom Native American leaders from throughout the state spent all of September working with state and local officials in Minneapolis on immediate, short-term...

Militarizing Against Native and Indigenous Peoples

By Winona LaDuke On September 24, the Duluth City Council discussed purchasing $82,721 worth of riot gear for the second time. Water Protectors, the NAACP,...

Viva Mexico: land, water, and Indigenous candidates

By Winona LaDuke They tried to bury us. They did not know we were seeds...” – Mexican Proverb I have always loved the above quote; rooted,...

To an encampment, our people have come home

By Joe Hobot There is an encampment in Minneapolis populated by indigenous people – and it is growing. People who have gathered there are the displaced,...

What’s New in the Community – October 2018

Adrienne Benjamin named one of the National Center’s 2018 Native American 40 Under 40 Award Recipients The National Center for American Indian Enterprise Development announced...

High-speed telecommunications coming to Fond du Lac

By Lee Egerstrom The Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa is busily laying cable throughout its northeastern Minnesota reservation and is now seeking...

Community Calendar – October 2018

Thru Oct. 2019 Horse Nation of the Ochéthi Šakówiŋ All My Relations Arts presents Horse Nation of the Ochéthi Šakówi, an exhibition that explores how horses shape...

Political Matters – October 2018

By Mordecai Specktor ‘The Trump Presidency’ reality show Like many of you, I’ve watched too much coverage of the confirmation hearings for Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court...

It Ain’t Easy Being Indian – October 2018

By Ricey Wild I’m feeling a lot of anxiety right now – of trauma, fear and flashbacks of my own sexual assaults – watching the...

Study examines how Native culture is depicted in tobacco ads

By CoCo Villaluz, Joanne D’Silva and Erin O’Gara Recently, our country has seen improved understanding of cultural misappropriation. Awareness of stereotypes, protests against racist mascots,...

Outpatient Program for Little Earth

By Lee Egerstrom Three Native American organizations have teamed up to launch a new Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) to help drug abusers and their families...

Dakota Head Start launched at Lower Sioux Indian Community

By Lee Egerstrom With a dwindling number of fluent Dakota language speakers throughout Minnesota, the Lower Sioux Indian Community (LSIC) has started a unique Dakota...

The meaning of consent: Fond du Lac and Enbridge

By Winona LaDuke “Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) is one of the most important principles that Indigenous Peoples believe can protect their right to...

Black Snake Chronicles: Police, Courts and Victories

By Winona LaDuke August was marked by three new landmarks in Native resistance to pipelines in Canada, Minnesota, and North Dakota. On August 29, 26...