photo of ricey wild

It Ain’t Easy Being Indian – March 2021

By Ricey Wild As I shared before, I watch too much news and their daily declarations of doom and distraction...um, destruction. It’s not my way...

NACC expands facilities to help with Covid-19 vaccines

By Brad Hagen The Native American Community Clinic (NACC) in south Minneapolis has been serving the urban Native community since 2003, when they first opened...

Distance learning still a struggle for Native students

By Lee Egerstrom Urban area students in younger grades are finding their way back into school classrooms while educators keep their fingers crossed that another...

COVID-19 vaccines: Native Americans say “bring it on” 

By Lee Egerstrom As January came to a close, greater supplies of COVID-19 vaccines were reaching Minnesota and there were signs Native Minnesotans were rolling...

Last Tango at the Red River: Enbridge and pipelines

By Winona LaDuke It’s an amazing competition to be the last Tar Sands Pipeline. Enbridge wants to win. It already did. The last tar sands...

St. Paul attorney in running to become UofMN’s first Native American...

By Lee Egerstrom D. Brandon Alkire, a St. Paul attorney representing various Native American and family causes, is among candidates recommended for election to the...

Gaabi Boucha: Gaabimasiget in Warroad High School

By Dan Ninham Gaabi Boucha is a sophomore at Warroad High School in Warroad, MN. He is a three-sport athlete in football, hockey, and baseball. “My...

Political Matters – February 2021

By Mordecai Speckor Laura Waterman Wittstock passes Before anything else this month, I want to remember one of the truly extraordinary leaders in the Native community,...

On language and legacy: Wakáŋ Tipi

By the Lower Phalen Creek Project The first European known to have visited the area known to the Dakota as Imnižaska, or Saint Paul, was...

Artist blends traditional Ojibwe designs with contemporary styles

By Brad Hagen Native Americans are often rendered invisible to the wider population due to stereotypes and misconceptions about who we are, factors that are...
photo of ricey wild

It Ain’t Easy Being Indian – February 2021

By Ricey Wild Well, well, well, never a dull moment, ennit? I would really enjoy some peace but not monotony. Like many around the world,...

Indigenous organizations collaborate to feed their most vulnerable

By Kathryn Styer Martinez/MPR News It’s the first big snowstorm of winter. Bob Rice and Angel Swann are out running errands and picking up food...

Biden to pick Rep. Haaland as interior secretary

By AP President-elect Joe Biden plans to nominate New Mexico Rep. Deb Haaland as interior secretary, according to two people familiar with the decision, a...

Winter Count: Mississippi River

By Winona Laduke November 20. 2020: Army Corps of Engineers issues 404 permits to cross waters of Minnesota, based on the findings of the Minnesota...

Ojibwe bands ask for halt on Line 3 construction

By Dan Kraker/MPR The Red Lake and White Earth Bands of Ojibwe have asked the Minnesota Court of Appeals to pause the ongoing construction of...

State programs help Native warriors become employed civilians

By Lee Egerstrom For Jeff Isachsen, like for a lot of Native Minnesotans,  it was far easier to become a member of the armed services...

Restoring our connections to each other and the natural world

By Ricky Defoe and Janet Keough As the year gets ready to renew itself, we have a chance to heal ourselves, our human communities, and...

LeRoy Staples Fairbanks IV: Bringing AAU Summer Season to Cass Lake-Bena

By Dan Ninham The wave of top level Minnesota Section 8 basketball talent is continuing to rise at Cass Lake-Bena High School. One of the...

Political Matters – January 2021

By Mordecai Specktor Cancelling Henry Sibley As I mentioned in the December issue of The Circle, I attended Sibley High School. In gym class, we wore...

ILTF’s Will In A Box helps Native Americans with land transfers

By Hannah Broadbent Like many American Indians, my family has land in our district on the Sisseton Whapeton Oyate Reservation (in South Dakota). Also, like...