New American Indian Cancer Foundation SEEKS TO END CANCER DISPARITIES

Among Native Americans, cancer is the leading cause of death, according to the Indian Health Service (IHS). Studies show that Native Americans are more...

Cobell settlement paperwork underway

The Court-ordered process of notifying individual Indians of their right to participate in the historic $3.4 billion class action Settlement, Cobell v. Salazar,...

Lawsuit filed to stop release of toxic metals at Flambeau Mine

The Wisconsin Resources Protection Council, the Center for Biological Diversity and Laura Gauger filed a Clean Water Act citizen suit in January against Flambeau...

White Earth Tribal council declares public health emergency

he White Earth Reservation Tribal Council passed a Proclamation on Jan. 31 declaring a Public Health Emergency with respect to prescription medication and illegal...

Students get a chance to learn Ojibwe in schools in Michigan

Learning a second language is not always about learning foreign language. It can also be about preserving what's been right here for generations, language...

Local leaders honored through song

FAIR School Downtown will host a community celebration honoring two community elders at FAIR School Downtown on Thursday, February 17, 1:00 PM - 2:00...

Students receive "Good Job" award

In honor of the 2011 American Indians in Science event at the Science Museum of Minnesota on Jan. 22, the Museum recognized three students...

New treatment-centered approach to healing from the trauma and abuses

It was the vision of two Native women, Lillian Rice and Chris Wallen, which lead to the creation of Minnesota Indian Women's Resource Center's...

"Dakota 38" documetary remembers the 38 Dakota executed in 1862

The largest mass execution in U.S. history occurred 148 years ago, when 38 Dakota warriors were hanged from a single scaffold in Mankato. The...

Great Lakes Indigenous Farming Conference will be held in March

For years, Indigenous food producers and local communities have worked together to create the Great Lakes Indigenous Farming Conference, for the purpose of restoring,...

Letters from Dakota Conflict prisoners will be published in book

For nearly 150 years, the voices of Dakota men imprisoned after the Dakota Conflict of 1862 went unheard. But the details of their imprisonment...

Franken's staff meets with elders on issues facing seniors

In January the staff from Senator Al Franken's (D-MN) office came to the Minneapolis American Indian Center (MAIC) to ask Native American elders about...

Red Lake Tribe hosts education summit out of concern for Native...

The Red Lake Tribal Council, Tribal College and School District joined hands to sponsor an Education Summit in concern for the Nation's youth. ...

Community Calendar of events

Feb. 5Hope for Recovery WorkshopThe National Alliance on Mental Illness of Minnesota will hold a free, one-day education workshop that provides families and individuals...

It ain't easy being indian

Like many Indians and Americans I have been unemployed for way longer than I thought I would be. It really sucks and I am...

Fond du Lac Follies

Fond du Lac Follies motored to the Cloquet Community Center for our Ojibwe language table. Niib Aubid was our teacher like he was last...

Native Issues in the Halls of Government

'A plague of sexual violence' I would like to dedicate this column to the memory of my mother, Anna Waller Specktor, who journeyed...

Attention!

ATTENTION: The dates in the print edition are incorrect for the St.Paul Public School Events. Here are the correct dates!AIMS:Thursday, February 10, 201112:30-2:00 p.m.BCMS:Thursday,...

What's New In The Community

Steven Wassaykeesic Receives Eric Stonechild AwardOn December 16th at the First Nations Recovery Center Christmas party Steven Wassaykeesic, an Ojibwe from the Mishkeegogamang First...

Community Calendar of events

Jan. 8 MN warm Native American Heritage NightThe Minnesota Swarm pro lacrosse team will host its second-annual American Indian Heritage Night, presented by Treasure...