Letters from Dakota Conflict prisoners will be published in book

For nearly 150 years, the voices of Dakota men imprisoned after the Dakota Conflict of 1862 went unheard. But the details of their imprisonment...

Franken's staff meets with elders on issues facing seniors

In January the staff from Senator Al Franken's (D-MN) office came to the Minneapolis American Indian Center (MAIC) to ask Native American elders about...

Red Lake Tribe hosts education summit out of concern for Native...

The Red Lake Tribal Council, Tribal College and School District joined hands to sponsor an Education Summit in concern for the Nation's youth. ...

Community Calendar of events

Feb. 5Hope for Recovery WorkshopThe National Alliance on Mental Illness of Minnesota will hold a free, one-day education workshop that provides families and individuals...

It ain't easy being indian

Like many Indians and Americans I have been unemployed for way longer than I thought I would be. It really sucks and I am...

Fond du Lac Follies

Fond du Lac Follies motored to the Cloquet Community Center for our Ojibwe language table. Niib Aubid was our teacher like he was last...

Native Issues in the Halls of Government

'A plague of sexual violence' I would like to dedicate this column to the memory of my mother, Anna Waller Specktor, who journeyed...

Attention!

ATTENTION: The dates in the print edition are incorrect for the St.Paul Public School Events. Here are the correct dates!AIMS:Thursday, February 10, 201112:30-2:00 p.m.BCMS:Thursday,...

What's New In The Community

Steven Wassaykeesic Receives Eric Stonechild AwardOn December 16th at the First Nations Recovery Center Christmas party Steven Wassaykeesic, an Ojibwe from the Mishkeegogamang First...

Community Calendar of events

Jan. 8 MN warm Native American Heritage NightThe Minnesota Swarm pro lacrosse team will host its second-annual American Indian Heritage Night, presented by Treasure...

Book reviews 2010

Books in Review: Interview with Metis author Joseph Boyden Joseph Boyden is the award winning author of Three Day Road, which won the McNally...

It ain't easy being indian

I am absolutely astonished by what some people pay big money for. Just this past December an American flag was sold for 2.2 million...

Fond du Lac Follies

Continued from last month when Fond du Lac Follies jetted to Tennessee on his last airline ride and had to go through Minneapolis airport...

Political Matters: Native Issues in the Halls of Government

Betting on a racinoThe Shinnecock Indian Nation happens to be located a stone’s throw from the mansions of the super rich in New York...

"Dakota Music Tour" will feature Native composers/musicians and the Mankato Symphony...

"Dakota Music Tour" – a 90-minute musical response to the Dakota-American events of 1862 in Minnesota – will feature four concerts that will reach...

This Is Displacement showcases a range of contemporary Native artists

THIS IS DISPLACEMENT: Native Art Show Opens January. 9thPlymouth Congregational ChurchPublic reception: January 24 at 6 p.m. Plymouth Congregational Church, 1900 Nicollet Ave. (at...

Native community buys/builds art gallery in 11 months

All My Relations Arts (AMR) opens the doors of its new gallery space on January 21 after a fast-paced 11 months of the American...

Suicide prevention "isten-ins"will culminate in national conference

Suicide is a tragedy that strikes Native American communities disproportionately compared to other ethnic groups, and has been a top priority on the agendas...

Domestic Abuse Program sewing circle builds skills and friendships

Once a week, every Tuesday evening in Minneapolis, a group of women come together to participate in a constructive task of edging together a...

Bemidji State launches website with Ojibwe language resources

As part of its ongoing efforts to support the efforts of the Shared Vision Bemidji community-building initiative, Bemidji State University has unveiled a printable...