Ethnic Cultural Tourism Conference to be held in July

Several organizations focused on promoting tourism in the American Indian community and in other communities of color will gather with their colleagues from around...

Oill drilling battle over Bear Butte in South Dakota

In Sturgis S.D., Meade County commissioners abandoned the notion of suing over the state's recent decision to limit oil drilling at the Bear Butte...

EPA wants input on Cass Lake Superfund site

Cass Lake, the location of the Leech Lake Indian Reservation as well as the St. Regis Paper Company Superfund Site, held a public meeting...

Wild Rice In Danger

Proposed sulfide limit increases in Minnesota's lakes would endanger natural wild rice growth. At the State Capitol, Governor Mark Dayton vetoed legislation that, among...

JUNE COMMUNITY CALENDAR

June 3, 7, 21, 28 Hennepin offers low-cost vaccination Hennepin offers low-cost vaccination clinics which includes measles. Vaccines prevent diseases for people of all ages, and...

Premiere of Two Spirits to air on June14 on PBS

In a remote town, 16 year old Fred Martinez became one of the youngest hate-crime victims when he was brutually murdered a quarter mile...

Vincent "Bean" Leith February 21, 1956 – May 11, 2011

Vincent "Bean" Leith, age 55, of the Lower Sioux Community journeyed to the spirit world on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at the Wood Dale...

JUNE Powwow Calendar

June 10-12 White Earth Powwow White Earth Powwow Grounds, Crane Rd., White Earth MN. FMI: Gary at 218-983-3285. June 10-12 Jerry Fairbank's Powwow 1150 Mission Rd., Sawyer, MN....

It ain't easy being indian

Last month's BIG NEWS was, of course, the death of Osama Bin Laden, U.S. codename Geronimo. What? Really people? Of course there was a...

Fond du Lac Follies

So, where was the Follies last month? I took the month off to celebrate my 68th birthday. So Sioux me. **** Fond du Lac Follies...

Treaty fishing in Minneapolis

Cedar Lake, long famous for its skinny-dipping beach, was the site of an unusual treaty rights demonstration on May 13. Local Dakota activists put...

Native Issues in the Halls of Government

Update on wild rice and sulfates As I wrote in this column last month, some Minnesota lawmakers are intent on throwing out a section of...

World Peace and Prayer Day

World Peace and Prayer Day (WPPD) will once again bring people of all faiths and spiritual beliefs together to pray for healing for Mother...

Iroquois Nationals take Silver in World Indoor Box Lacrosse Championships

The Iroquois Nationals lost to Canada in the gold medal match at the 2011 World Indoor Lacrosse Championships in Prague on May 28. They...

The UN Permanent Forum On the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and...

In May, my grandson Giiwedin Buckanaga and I traveled to the United Nations in New York City for the UN Permanent Forum on the...

UMD's Master of Tribal Administration and Governance is first of its...

More than two years in planning mode, the first-of-its-kind Master of Tribal Administration and Governance (MTAG) degree program at the University of Minnesota Duluth...

DNR confiscates nets, fish from Dakota activists on Cedar Lake

Conservation officers with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) seized a gill net and several dozen fish on May 13 from a small group...

First Lady launches Let's Move! In Indian Country Initiative

First Lady Michelle Obama launched the Let's Move! In Indian Country (LMIC) Initiative at the Menominee Nation in Keshena, Wisconsin on May 25.  The...

MIWRC selected as one of 16 national organizations for Move to...

The NoVo Foundation of New York kicked off its Move to End Violence Initiative, a groundbreaking, 10 year, $80 million initiative designed to strengthen...

Limon wins the Folk and Traditional Arts grant from the Minnesota...

Artist Douglas K. Limon (Leech Lake Ojibwe/Oneida) of White Bear Lake, MN has been awarded a $19,980 Folk and Traditional Arts grant from the...