LATEST ARTICLES

UofMN launches financial aid for Native American students

By Lee Egerstrom Starting next school year, the University of Minnesota will offer full tuition free and greatly reduced tuition financial assistance to first year...

Business is on a roll in Northern Minnesota tribal communities 

By Lee Egerstrom Northern Minnesota tribes have expanded their investments and roles in providing food security for their communities and in providing education and training...

George Morrison to be honored with new stamp series

By Dan Kraker/MPR News Celebrated Minnesota artist George Morrison – who was born in a Native American fishing village along the North Shore of Lake...

Artist, inspired by Hip-Hop, collaborates on mural at the Tweed Museum

By Brad Hagen onathan Thunder, multimedia artist and member of the Red Lake Nation, has described his work as “...a story line that reflects my...

A Native man wants police reform in Duluth. His son wants...

By Dan Kraker/MPR News Earlier this year, in a plaza in downtown Duluth, Blair Powless stood alongside dozens of other community members still hurting over...

Political Matters – December 2021

By Mordecai Specktor Remembering Lee Cook In November, I was sad to learn that Leon “Lee” Cook had walked on. According to a news obituary in...

Molly Saboo: Pursuing Her Dream to Compete In College Cross Country

By Dan Ninham Molly Saboo, 18, is a member of the Bay Mills Indian Community located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She is a...

Lightning Strike, a “must read”

Review by Deborah Locke The reading of “Lightning Strike” by Minnesota writer William Kent Krueger came about randomly. An acquaintance emailed that I just had...

Women Water Protectors exhibit will highlight Native women warriors

A new photography exhibit by photograher John Kaul will highlight Native American women Water Protectors, which will be on display in December. Kaul has...
photo of ricey wild

It Ain’t Easy Being Indian – December 2021

By Ricey Wild Well dag-nabbit! I’m so mad I didn’t get back to you last month. See, I was involved in a social experiment where...

One homeless encampment cleared; another remembered

By Lee Egerstrom Minneapolis city officials cleared an impromptu homeless encampment in early October along East Franklin Avenue on the edge of the American Indian...

St. Benedict nuns apologize for Native boarding school

By Yasmine Askari/MinnPost American Indian children from White Earth Nation and other reservations were sent to boarding schools across the country, starting in the late...

New Briefs – November 2021

Indigenous Leaders Occupy the BIA Washington, DC – On October 14, Indigenous leaders occupied the B.I.A. in Washington, D.C for the first time in roughly...

Indigenous communities see rise in COVID-19 cases

By Dan Kraker/MPR News When vaccines for COVID-19 first became available early this year, Minnesota's tribal communities were quick to make them available to their...

Red Lake celebrates first charter school set to open fall 2022

By Daltyn Lofstrom / Inforum Spirits were high the morning of October 18 as around 50 members of the Red Lake community, tribal council and...

High school students and artists collaborate to address racism

The Learning and Engagement Departments of the Minneapolis Institute of Art (Mia) have partnered with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota to launch...

Three Generations of Ninham Triathletes in KWESTRONG Triathlon

By Dan Ninham KWESTRONG started in the spring of 2012. Founder Lisa Skjefte talked about the beginning of the indigenous women’s fitness movement with the...

Goodbye, Columbus? Here’s what Indigenous Peoples’ Day means to Natives

By Emma Bownman/NPR News This year marks the first time a U.S. president has officially recognized Indigenous Peoples’ Day. President Joe Biden issued a proclamation to...

Political Matters – November 2021

By Mordecai Specktor Bears Ears restored by Biden There was some good news on the federal level in early October. Pres. Joe Biden restored the boundaries...

Erdrich’s “The Sentence” is a winner

Review by Deborah Locke She did it again. Louise Erdrich’s new book, “The Sentence,” layers so much to consider that after reading the last page,...