No data was found

Peltier denied parole, not eligible for another hearing until 2024

Share :
Facebook
X
No data was found

American Indian activist Leonard Peltier, imprisoned since 1977 for the deaths of two FBI agents, has been denied parole after authorities decided that releasing him would diminish the seriousness of his crime, a federal prosecutor said. Peltier, who claims the FBI framed him, will not be eligible for parole again until July 2024, when he will be 79 years old. U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley announced the decision of the U.S. Parole Commission in mid-August.

Peltier is serving two life sentences for the execution-style deaths of FBI agents Jack Coler and Ronald Williams during a June 26, 1975, standoff on South Dakota’s Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. He was convicted in Fargo, N.D., in 1977. He has said the FBI framed him, which the agency denies, and unsuccessfully appealed his conviction numerous times.

He also was denied parole in 1993. Peltier had a full parole hearing for the first time in 15 years in July at the Lewisburg, Pa., federal prison where he is being held. The hearing was closed to the public, but Seitz said he focused on factors that would support parole.

He said a representative from the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa reservation in North Dakota, where Peltier grew up, said the tribe had made arrangements to incorporate Peltier back into society should he be paroled. Seitz also said Peltier has had no documented misconduct in prison in the past 10 years.

Wrigley said Peltier’s past criminal conduct while behind bars was a factor in the Parole Commission’s decision. He claims that in 1979, Peltier escaped for a time in California, and that he also has had numerous infractions in prison.

Seitz said earlier that Peltier is in poor health, with diabetes, high blood pressure, a jaw problem and a urinary system ailment. Parole was abolished for federal convicts in 1987, but Peltier remains eligible because he was convicted before then.

This reporting is made possible by readers like you.

The Circle is a nonprofit newsroom with no tribal affiliation, no corporate ownership, and no paywall. Independent Native journalism depends on reader support.

Recent Stories

Advertisement

This is what Fraud Looks Like - The Circle - Web 160x120

More From Latest Urban NewsUrban News

Native candidates advance across Minnesota following Aug. 11 primary

Several Native candidates are advancing to Minnesota’s November general election following the Aug. 11th primary, with Indigenous candidates appearing in races ranging from local government and school boards to the Minnesota Legislature and the U.S. Senate. According to election coverage from ICT, nearly a dozen Native candidates were running for office across Minnesota on Tuesday. […]

Indigenous Artists Lead Walker Art Center Programs This August

By Miiskogimiiwan P.C. The Walker Art Center will host two artist-led programs this month featuring Indigenous perspectives through film and music. The final screenings of “Once Upon a Time in Manhood”, a film series curated by actor, comedian, and activist Dallas Goldtooth (Mdewakanton Dakota/DinĂ©), will take place this week at Walker Cinema. The series examines how […]

Indian Health Board Celebrates Native Youth While Looking Ahead to New Wellness Campus 

By Miiskogihmiiwan P.C. The Indian Health Board of Minneapolis (IHB) celebrated Native Youth Day on August 4th, welcoming families from across the Twin Cities for a day focused on health, culture, and community before the start of the school year. Founded in 1971, the Indian Health Board of Minneapolis has served the urban Native community […]

No data was found

Search The Circle

Find stories, columns, events, and magazine features.